Friday, August 6, 2010

If I'm alergic to hair dye will I be alergic to Hair Relaxer?

The title pretty much explains it. I have thick wavy hair and I bought a box of pink hair relaxer. I'm alergic to hair dye, will I be alergic to hair relaxer?If I'm alergic to hair dye will I be alergic to Hair Relaxer?
The ingredients in hair colour (not dye) are quite different to the relaxer. You shouldn't be allergic to that.





However, that being said, you should not take a chance here. You should do a patch test. That is, you apply just a tiny amount of the product (size of a dime) to a patch of skin, cover with a band-aid, and wait to see what happens. Usually, this is on the inside of the elbow, since it's more sensitive there.





Because the relaxer is usually quite caustic, it may burn the skin if left on for very long. If you sense any burning or itching, remove it immediately. I should think that if you don't notice anything after 2-3 hours, you should be alright. They usually recommend 24 hours to be sure, but it won't be on your hair and scalp for that long.





I would question why you want to use a relaxer if you have wavy hair! How lucky you are!! I hope some day you will realize this.If I'm alergic to hair dye will I be alergic to Hair Relaxer?
Chances are, you might very well be. However, the best way and only way to tell is to test it. Towards the back of your head, in the middle section (where it's not visible if you part it, or put in a pony tail) test about a square inch of hair.





Depending on the outcome, you could tell if you are or not.
not necessarily, different ingredients...


There is an allergy strand test for both color and relaxers.


I suggest you follow the manufacturers directions to do the strand test.


See what the results of that are before you apply to your whole head and have a major allergic reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment